Monday 11 April 2011

Kapowhoops

I must say, I intentionally didn't go to Kapow! convention in London this weekend because it seemed quite horrendously shallow to bring the leviathan American con format over here - replete with the vacuous stars of screen and blockbuster dullcomics. I see now that I was being very silly. Although Millar seems like a douche. Anyhow - I didn't go and I missed encountering some genuinely nice internet folk in real life, and copped out on staring gazedly at some of the best artists in British comics. And any platform for them is not a terribly bad thing at all.

On to Bristol International, anyway!
I was extremely proud to be part of an amazing comic - written by Mr Mark Howard (WHAT A CHAP) and co-drawn by the fantastic Davey Candlish, El Chivo, Filip Roncone & Lee Bates - with letters by the EXCELLENT Jim Campbell. This was then auctioned off by 'Genre for Japan' and we raised fifty quid! Many thanks to the kind wallet of author Toni Kelner and Wayne Simmons for calling us all to arms. It was an amazing auction featuring some of my favourite artists and writers - and we collectively earned over eleven thousand for Japan! Crikey.

I urge you to do or give. Japan still needs help.
Although the modest Feistmouse was extremely embarrassed by this pictorial birthday tribute, it was my pleasure to produce it. Do check out his Sun & Moon stories in Dogbreath, or visit the man himself on DeviantArt - or march into Portsmouth Ink and place down your arms bellowing "I COMMAND YOU TO TATTOO ME, FEIST". He is a true fella.
Drawn for The Weekly Themed Art Blog - on the subject of non-2000ad British Comics - this is my tribute to Jimmy and His Magic Patch. A Beano story in which a boy had his torn shorts repaired with a CHUNK OF MAGIC CARPET and thenceforth voyages across the winds of time. A majestic concept and one that was treated with such an appealing old school silliness that I've always gone back to it. I mean, so much time travel these days is all about the mystery of the mechanics - I loved it when it was like "look, he's travelling time - fucking deal with it" BUT WHY "Magic shorts is why, NOW SHUT UP THERE ARE DINOSAURS".
The first of two photo-traces I did this fortnight. I'll go into my anxieties over the method in the next one - but this was a brilliant concept for the brother of Lowri Ann Davies who is clearly an insanely silly child and deserves as many comics as the world can throw at him. I have no opinion or interest in Aston Villa or football - twas a requirement of the brother and nothing more!
My second was for Mother's Day/My Mother's birthday which fell on the same day this year. It's a portrayal of my grandmother who was a powerfully brilliant lady and will be remembered. Here though I must explain that I find the idea of photo-traces very cheap. People seem very impressed and excited in them - and they are the simplest and best way to capture a likeness. The awesome Staticgirl said that she thought mine were justified and contained enough of my personality to carry them through - and even though they take me as long as any picture to draw and colour - if not a little longer - I feel like I've got to the final image through a shortcut. Will do more observational drawing.
Finally - and WITH NO TRACING (disappointing without, isn't it) I pay tribute to the marvellous madcap doodlings of our Pal in Canada; Liam "Ghostpockets" Byrne. Who remains one of the nicest and most enthusiastic artists I've ever met on the internet. I urge you to seek him and his work out - it's fucking glorious.


That's it - I'm off. But beware ... DONKEYS are on their way ;)

O x

1 comment:

  1. Very entertaining read, Owen. James Feist works at Portsmouth ink?? My Girlfriend had her tattoo done there.....small(ish) world!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete